Festivals and Events
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Festivals and Events
El Día de los Santos Reyes (January 6) was the day of gift-giving in Latin America until Santa Claus invaded from the North. Although many families now give gifts on Christmas or Christmas Eve, Three Kings Day is still an important celebration. The children receive token "gifts of the Magi." Atole (a drink of finely ground rice or corn) or hot chocolate is served along with the rosca de reyes, a ring-shaped cake. The person whose portion contains a tiny baby Jesus figurine must host a follow-up party on Candlemass, February 2.
Held for the sixth time in 2010, the Perrotón has become an annual event. In addition to lectures, there are contests including ugliest dog, dog and owner who most resemble each other, most beautiful dog, and exhibitions of agility and obedience. 322/224-9966.
The four-day Festival de Música San Pancho is an amalgam of the area's best regional musicians; snowbirds also participate. The free jamboree is usually held in mid- to late February. The event has featured bluegrass, blues, jazz, funk, and standards in addition to cumbia and Mexican classics. Look for flyers around town. San Pancho is 50 minutes north of downtown Puerto Vallarta. 322/297-2516.
Charros (cowboys) from all over Mexico compete in the four-day Campeonato Nacional Charro Vallarta at Mojoneras. In addition to men's rope and riding tricks and the female competitors, there are mariachis, a parade, and exhibitions of charro-related art. Admission is $7-$12. 322/429-7996 cell; 322/120-0678 cell.
Las Fiestas de Mayo is a three-week fair with fireworks and regional crafts and foods that is more popular with locals than visitors. In Jalisco, no such festival would be complete without charreadas (rodeos). 322/223-2500.
Restaurants lower their prices for two weeks at the beginning of low season during Restaurant Week, also known as the May Food Festival.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com