- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
An easy one-hour bus ride from San Miguel de Allende's Central de Autobuses, Dolores Hidalgo is famous for its lovely hand-glazed Talavera-style ceramics, most notably tiles and tableware. Calle Puebla, a few blocks southeast of the main square, is a good place to browse, especially Artesanías JMB (Puebla 60, at the corner of Tamaulipas418/182-0749), which advertises that its wares are lead-free; it also ships internationally. After shopping, stroll over to the plaza for one of Dolores's famous ice creams, including some of the most exotic flavors you'll ever taste, such as mole, avocado, beer, and corn.
It was in Dolores Hildalgo, before midnight on September 15, 1810, that local priest Miguel Hidalgo launched Mexico's fight for independence with an impassioned call to arms known as the grito, or "cry." Every September 15 at 11 pm, in the Zócalo in Mexico City, the Mexican president rings the bell taken from Hidalgo's church in Dolores and reads a version of the original grito—"Viva Mexico! Viva Mexico! Viva Mexico!"
Elsewhere in San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Morelia Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at y Suites Galeria Fr $79+/Nt Expedia
- Howard Johnson Calle Real Morelia in May: $71 & Up Expedia
- Special deal: 3-Star Suites San Miguel Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Expedia
- Save 35% on this stay!: Mision Catedral in May — $59 Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- Book in Morelia: Save this May Fr $56+/Nt — $56 Save with Expedia, $16/night less