- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Although Zacatecas, high up at nearly 8,000 feet, was once the world's largest silver-producing city, it's relatively undiscovered by foreigners. Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993, this extraordinary town is often labeled the "pink city," since most of its 17th- and 18th-century buildings were built of local pink limestone.
As a state capital with a population of 135,000, Zacatecas toes the line between city and town. There are some good restaurants and museums, and nightlife includes partying in an old silver mine deep underground. Each year during the Festival Cultural de Zacatecas, the city comes alive with dance, theater, music, and art.
Most town-center attractions are accessible on foot, although you may want a taxi to visit farther-flung sights like the Cerro de la Bufa, a dramatic limestone outcropping visible from most strategic points in town. There's an efficient and inexpensive bus system with clearly marked buses and 30¢ rides. The city's principal avenues such as López Velarde and González Ortega often change names as they proceed through the town, and the traffic is divided by islands decorated with carved limestone vases and lampposts, occasional statues, and ornate fountains.
We suggest you get your bearings first on the Tranvía Turístico, a trolley bus that departs on the hour from 10 am to 9 pm daily in front of the cathedral. The 45-minute tour costs $5.
Zacatecas at a Glance
Elsewhere in San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Vista Express in May: Save 25% on this stay! Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- Morelia Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $92+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Morelia Fr $83+/Nt — $83 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Morelia Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $61+/Nt — $61 Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Morelia this May Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Expedia