- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Sonoran Desert—or as the Mexicans call it, El Desierto de Altar—dominates the northern part of this state, where long stretches of flat scrub are punctuated by brown hills, saguaros, and organ-pipe cacti. South of Guaymas, the desert gives way to a dry, tropical landscape.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3210 & up -- 12-Nt. Luxe Mexican Riviera Cruise on Azamara American Express Travel