- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Before planning your trip to Nogales—or any other Mexican-American border town—check www.state.gov/travel for updates on drug violence and security precautions.
Don't linger in Nogales, which has experienced some gang-related violence. If you must spend time here, stick to the touristed areas, and watch out for pickpockets and petty thieves. Remaining alert (and sober) will lessen your risk of becoming a victim.
Travel elsewhere in Sonora is generally not problematic. Though you really should plan to drive by day, know that roads here are good and help is easy to find in the populated areas.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3210 & up -- 12-Nt. Luxe Mexican Riviera Cruise on Azamara American Express Travel