- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The magnificent series of gorges known collectively as las Barrancas del Cobre, or the Copper Canyon, is the real treasure of the Sierra Madre. (The name refers to the tarnished-copper color of the lichen on the canyon walls.) Inaccessible to the casual visitor until the early 1960s and still largely uncharted, the canyons are most frequently visited via one of the most breathtaking train rides in North America.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159 -- 4-Star Cabo Resort incl. Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos