- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If you close your eyes and try to imagine the ideal Mexican small town, you'd probably come up with something surprisingly close to Xico. In many ways this village seems untouched by time: donkeys hauling burlap sacks of fresh beans clip-clop along the cobblestone streets followed by local coffee harvesters, machetes tied to their waists with red sashes. Adding to this back-in-time beauty is the fact that the town is often surrounded by mist.
The village is also known for its raucous nine-day festival in July that celebrates the town's patron saint, Mary Magdalene.
Xico at a Glance
Elsewhere in Veracruz
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159 -- 4-Star Cabo Resort incl. Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos