Yucatán and Campeche States Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Yucatán and Campeche States
Visiting spectacular Mayan ruins: Chichén Itzá and Uxmal are two of the largest, most beautiful sites in the region.
Living like a wealthy hacendado: You can stay in a restored henequen (sisal) plantation-turned-hotel and delight in its old-world charm.
Browsing at fantastic crafts markets: This region is known for its handmade hamacas (hammocks), piñatas, and other local handicrafts.
Swimming in the secluded, pristine freshwater cenotes: These sinkholes, like portals to the underworld, are scattered throughout the inland landscape.
The chance to taste the diverse flavors of Yucatecan food: Mérida has 50-odd restaurants, which serve up local specialties like fish stews and Mayan-originated dishes like pollo pibil (chicken cooked in banana leaves).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Merida Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Book in Merida: Save at the Colon in May Fr $65+/Nt Expedia
- Maria del Carmen in May: $47 & Up — $47 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- May deal: Hacienda Merida Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Merida Savings! Book at Nacional Fr $54+/Nt — $54 Save with Expedia, $15/night less