Yucatán and Campeche States Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Bird-Watching in Yucatán
Rise before the sun and head for shallow water to see flamingos engrossed in an intricate mating dance. From late winter into spring, thousands of bright pink, black-tipped flamingos crowd the estuaries of Ría Lagartos, coming from their "summer homes" in nearby Celestún as well as from northern latitudes to mate and raise their chicks. The largest flocks of both flamingos and bird-watching enthusiasts can be found during these months, when thousands of the birds—90% of the entire flamingo population of the western hemisphere—come to Ría Lagartos to nest.
Although the long-legged creatures are the most famous winged beasts found in these two nature reserves, red, white, black, and buttonwood mangrove swamps are home to hundreds of other species. Of Ría Lagartos's estimated 350 different species, one-third are winter-only residents—the avian counterparts of Canadian and northern-U.S. "snowbirds." Twelve of the region's resident species are endemic, found nowhere else on earth. Ría Lagartos Expeditions now leads walks through the low deciduous tropical forest in addition to boat trips through the mangroves.
More than 400 bird species have been sighted in the Yucatán, inland as well as on the coast. Bird-watching expeditions can be organized in Mérida as well as Ría Lagartos and Celestún. November brings hundreds of professional ornithologists and bird-watching aficionados to the Yucatán for a weeklong conference and symposium with films, lectures, and field trips.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Merida this May Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Merida Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Ibis Merida Fr $57+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Merida at Colonial Fr $44+/Nt — $44 Expedia
- Book in Merida: Save at the Hacienda Merida in May Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- May deal: Maria del Carmen Fr $47+/Nt — $47 Save with Expedia, $17/night less