Yucatan and Campeche States Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Yucatan and Campeche States Restaurant Reviews
Expect a superb variety of cuisines—primarily Yucatecan, of course, but also Lebanese, Italian, French, Chinese, vegetarian, and Mexican—at very reasonable prices. Reservations are advised for the pricier restaurants on weekends and in high season. Beach towns, such as Progreso, Río Lagartos, and Celestún, tend to serve fresh, simply prepared seafood. The regional cuisine of Campeche is renowned throughout Mexico. Specialties include fish and shellfish stews, cream soups, shrimp cocktail, squid and octopus, and panuchos (chubby rounds of fried cornmeal covered with refried beans and topped with onion and shredded turkey or chicken).
Mexicans generally eat lunch in the afternoon—certainly not before 2. If you want to eat at noon, call ahead to verify hours. In Mérida the locals make a real event of late dinners, especially in summer. Casual, but neat, dress is acceptable at all restaurants. Avoid wearing shorts or casual sandals in the more expensive places, and anywhere at all—especially in the evening—if you don't want to look like a tourist. Although food servers at most local restaurants are kind and hospitable, they don't always show it like they do in the States. Be patient and realize that for many, the language barrier may cause them to be more reserved, and not necessarily unfriendly.
Browse Yucatan and Campeche States Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Merida Savings! Book at Colon Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- Merida Savings! Book at Casa de las Columnas Fr $46+/Nt Save with Expedia, $32/night less
- Small budget: Book The Villa Merida 3 Nts in May Fr $164+/Nt — $164 Expedia
- Fiesta Americana Merida in May: $193 & Up — $193 Expedia
- Book the del Peregrino 3 Nts in May Fr $49+/Nt — $49 Save with Expedia, $11/night less