- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Iglesia de la Tercera Orden de Jesús
Iglesia de la Tercera Orden de Jesús Review
Just north of Parque Hidalgo is one of Mérida's oldest buildings and the first Jesuit church in the Yucatán. It was built in 1618 from the limestone blocks of a dismantled Mayan temple, and faint outlines of ancient carvings are still visible on the west wall. Although a favorite place for society weddings due to its antiquity, the church interior is not ornate.
The former convent rooms in the rear of the building now host the Pinoteca Juan Gamboa Guzmán, a small but interesting art collection. The most engaging pieces here are the striking bronze sculptures of indigenous Maya crafted by celebrated 20th-century sculptor Enrique Gottdiener Soto. On the second floor are about 20 forgettable oil paintings—mostly of past civic officials of the area.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Merida Savings! Book at Gran Real Yucatan Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Book the Fiesta Americana Merida 3 Nts in May Fr $157+/Nt Expedia
- La Mision de Fray Diego on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Colonial in May: $44 & Up — $44 Expedia
- Piedra de Agua Boutique in May: $84 & Up — $84 Expedia
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more
Have a voucher and my choices are these two properties in Cancun??
What's the best pool area, location, rooms??
Just looking for a relaxing weekend without our kids..
Thanks! Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more