- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The small Mayan ruin of Hochob is an excellent example of the Chenes architectural style, which flowered from about AD 100 to 1000. Most ruins in this area (central and southeastern Campeche) were built on the highest possible elevation to prevent flooding during the rainy season, and Hochob is no exception. It rests high on a hill overlooking the surrounding valleys. Another indication that these are Chenes ruins is the number of chultunes, or cisterns, in the area.
Since work began at Hochob in the early 1980s, four temples and palaces have been excavated at the site, including two that have been fully restored. Intricate and perfectly preserved geometric designs cover the temple known as Estructura II, which are typical of the Chenes style.
The doorway represents the open mouth of Itzámná, the creator god, and above it the eyes bulge and fangs are bared on either side of the base. It takes a bit of imagination to see the structure as a mask, as color no doubt originally enhanced the effect. Squinting helps a bit: the figure's "eyes" are said to be squinting as well. But anyone can appreciate the intense geometric relief carvings decorating the facades, including long cascades of Chaac rain-god masks along the sides. Evidence of roof combs can be seen at the top of the building. Ask the guard to show you the series of natural and man-made chultunes that extend back into the forest.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Gran Real Yucatan on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Small budget: Book Ibis Merida 3 Nts in May Fr $57+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Merida Fr $44+/Nt — $44 Expedia
- Merida Savings! Book at Hacienda Merida Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- May deal: Maria del Carmen Fr $47+/Nt — $47 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more
Hola my Fodor's lovers of Mexico. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more