- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- beautiful antique decorations
- in the middle of downtown bustle, sights, and shops
- downtown noise
- no elevator makes upstairs rooms quite a hike
- no pool or restaurant
- not easy to park in front, and parking is sometimes unavailable (check ahead if you are driving)
Gran Hotel Review
Cozily situated on Parque Hidalgo, this legendary 1901 hotel has extremely high ceilings, wrought-iron balcony and stair rails, and ornately patterned tile floors. The period decor is so classic that you expect a mantilla-wearing Spanish señorita to appear, fluttering her fan, at any moment. The old-fashioned sitting room has formal seating areas surrounded by antiques and plants. Wide interior verandas on the second and third floors provide pretty outside seating. Porfirio Díaz, a former Mexican president, stayed in one of the corner suites, which have small living and dining areas. The downstairs boutique sells high-quality clothes, including wedding dresses made from natural fibers.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Merida Savings! Book at Gran Real Yucatan Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Book the Fiesta Americana Merida 3 Nts in May Fr $157+/Nt Expedia
- La Mision de Fray Diego on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Colonial in May: $44 & Up — $44 Expedia
- Piedra de Agua Boutique in May: $84 & Up — $84 Expedia
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more
Have a voucher and my choices are these two properties in Cancun??
What's the best pool area, location, rooms??
Just looking for a relaxing weekend without our kids..
Thanks! Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more