- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
La Tradición Review
This family restaurant is popular among locals—in fact, many say it's their favorite restaurant in town. It's also one of the most formal places that serves the region's cuisine, but you'll still fit right in if you're wearing jeans. Proprietor Albino Medina is a third-generation chef and restaurant owner in his family. Dishes are prepared with a charcoal stove, like your grandma might have used (if you were from around here). The kitchen standards of cleanliness are so strict that the restaurant has received recognition from the Secretary of Tourism. Just about everything you'll try is tasty—including the queso relleno (hollowed-out cheese, stuffed with a pork-vegetable mixture) and the cochinita pibil (slow-roasted pork dish)—but you might not want to pass up the cream of chaya soup, since you won't find it in many other restaurants. La Tradición is open from 11am to 6 pm.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Merida Savings! Book at Gran Real Yucatan Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Book the Fiesta Americana Merida 3 Nts in May Fr $157+/Nt Expedia
- La Mision de Fray Diego on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Colonial in May: $44 & Up — $44 Expedia
- Piedra de Agua Boutique in May: $84 & Up — $84 Expedia
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more
Have a voucher and my choices are these two properties in Cancun??
What's the best pool area, location, rooms??
Just looking for a relaxing weekend without our kids..
Thanks! Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more