- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Reserva de la Biósfera Ría Celestún
Reserva de la Biósfera Ría Celestún Review
Celestún is the point of entry to the Reserva de la Biósfera Ría Celestún, a 220,000-acre wildlife reserve with extensive mangrove forests and one of the largest colonies of flamingos in North America. Clouds of the pink birds soar above the estuary all year, but the best months for seeing them in abundance are November through March. This is also the fourth-largest wintering ground for ducks of the Gulf-coast region, and more than 366 other species of birds, as well as a large sea-turtle population, make their home here. Conservation programs sponsored by the United States and Mexico protect the birds, as well as the endangered hawksbill and loggerhead marine tortoises, and other species such as the blue crab and crocodile. Other endangered species that inhabit the area are the ocelot, the jaguar, and the spider monkey.
The park is set among rocks, islets, and white-sand beaches. There's good fishing here, too, and several cenotes that are wonderful for swimming. Most Mérida travel agencies run boat tours of the ría (estuary) in the early morning or late afternoon, but it's not usually necessary to make a reservation in advance.
To see the birds, hire a fishing boat at the entrance to town (the boats hang out under the bridge leading into Celestún). A 75-minute tour for up to six people costs about $65; a two-hour tour, around $125. Although more expensive ($70 a person), local tour expert "Alex" specializes in ecotours and donates a portion of the proceeds to the Celestun Conservation Program (call Hotel Xixim to book a tour). Popular with Mexican vacationers, the park's sandy beach is pleasant during the morning but tends to get windy in the afternoon. And, unfortunately, mosquitoes gather in great numbers on the beach at dawn and dusk, particularly during the winter months, making a walk on the beach uncomfortable. Most hotels offer mosquito netting around the beds, but bring along a good cream or spray to keep the bugs away.
- Address: Celestún, Yucatán
- Phone: 998/916-2100 Tours booked through Hotel Xixim
- Location: Celestún
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Merida Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Save at 3-Star Ibis Merida: $57 & Up in May Expedia
- May deal: Hacienda Merida Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Del Gobernador in May: $51 & Up — $51 Expedia
- Merida Savings! Book at Piedra de Agua Boutique Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Expedia
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more
Hola my Fodor's lovers of Mexico. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more