Underwater Guna Yala
The Guna prohibit scuba diving in their territorial waters, but snorkeling is permitted, and the abundance of shallow reefs makes it a great place to experience the undersea world. Most of the San Blas Islands have coral reefs nearby with massive coral formations, as well as colorful sponges, anemones, and sea fans. Hundreds of fish species inhabit the underwater gardens, including damselfish, angelfish, barracudas, eels, eagle rays, and nurse sharks. Conditions are best between August and November. Don't snorkel close to populated islands, where human waste enters the sea.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com