- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Taxis in Panama City are all independently owned, tend to be smaller cars, and don't have meters. The city is divided into zones, the flat fare for one person being $1.50, to which they add 50¢ each time you cross into another zone, plus 50¢ for each additional person. Fares also increase about 20% after 10 pm and on Sunday. A short trip should cost about $3 for two people, whereas a trip to the domestic airport in Albrook or the Calzada de Amador can run about $5-$7. Tips are not expected. You will be charged double, or several times the standard rate, by the taxi drivers who wait outside hotels, but they drive vans or SUVs, and are likely to speak some English. Flagging a cab in the street is widely considered to be safe. If you're alone, you may be expected to share a taxi, a common practice in Panama, as is sitting in the passenger seat next to the driver.
Panamataxi Turismo provides personal transportation and various cultural tours for individuals and small groups.
Panamataxi Turismo (507/263-8311 or 507/6663-1092. www.panamataxi.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com