- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
There are certainly safety issues in Colón, which you shouldn't explore on foot. When hiking through the forest, always be careful where you put your hand and your feet, because there are poisonous snakes and stinging insects. If you slip on a muddy trail in the rain forest, resist the temptation to grab the nearest branch, because palms with spiny trunks are relatively common. If there are big waves at any beach you visit, don't go in unless you are an expert swimmer, because waves can create dangerous currents. The sun intensity at these latitudes means sunscreen and a brimmed hat are musts.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com