The Panamanian Tourism Authority, ATP, is Panama's official tourism organization. Its website (www.visitpanama.com) is an excellent pretrip planning resource with overviews of Panama's regions and points of interest.
ATP has 17 offices around Panama, open weekdays 8-3:30. The English-speaking staff at ATP offices are friendly and helpful. Their resources—mostly brochures—tend to plug local tour companies rather than aid independent exploration.
Other resources include The Visitor, a small, free paper that can be found at most hotels and travel agencies, and Panama Planner an excellent tourism magazine, available at large hotels.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com