Where to Stay
Where to Stay
"Hotel" isn't the only tag you'll find in Panama: hospedaje, pensión, casa de huespedes, and posada also denote somewhere to stay. Hotels and posadas tend to be higher-end, whereas hospedajes, pensiones, and casas de huespedes are sometimes smaller and family run. A residencial might be a by-the-hour sort of place.
Resorts: Big international chain hotels (Westin, Radisson, Marriott, InterContinental, and more) are found throughout Panama City. They have rooms and facilities equal to those at home, but can lack a sense of place. If five-star luxury isn't your top priority, the best deals are undoubtedly with mid-range local hotels.
Rentals: Short-term furnished rentals aren't common in Panama. Villas International offers several premium villa and apartment rentals. Sublet.com and VRBO deal mostly with modest apartments, often as cheap as $700 a week.
Bed-and-Breakfasts: In Panama the term B&B is frequently extended to luxury hotels that happen to include breakfast in their price. Indeed, these make up most of the pickings at Bed & Breakfast.com and BnB Finder. Ah! Panamá includes a few homier mid-range establishments.
Eco-Lodges: Found throughout the Guna Yala and the Darién, eco-lodges can be luxurious, but most are rustic, and all are way off the beaten path, so plan on staying a few nights. The term eco-lodge sometimes describes a property in a rural or jungle location rather than somewhere that is truly sustainable. The International Ecotourism Society has online resources to help you pick somewhere truly green.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com