Winter Sports in Banff National Park
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Whether you're driving a dogsled across a frozen lake, ice climbing, snowshoeing, skiing at one of the world's top mountain ski resorts—or simply taking in the northern lights—there's no shortage of winter activities to choose from at Banff.
Skis and snowboards can be rented on the slopes or at many shops in town, concentrated along Bear Street and Banff Avenue.
Canmore Nordic Centre. The best way to learn how to cross-country ski is with a lesson at this center, built for the 1988 Winter Olympic Games. It has rental equipment, a day lodge, and miles of trails to enjoy. 1988 Olympic Way, Canmore, AB, T1W 2T6. 403/678-2400.
Lake Louise Ski Area. The downhill terrain is expansive and varied, with a fairly even spread of novice, intermediate, and expert runs on three mountains and in north-facing back bowls. The vertical drop is 3,257 feet, and there are 105 runs, 11 lifts, and a terrain park. 1 Whitehorn Rd., off Lake Louise Dr., Lake Louise, AB, T0L 1E0. 403/522-3555 or 877/956-8473. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.skilouise.com.
Ski Banff at Norquay. Locals like this five-lift, 28-run mountain, and so do Olympic and World Cup trainees. It has night skiing, too. The vertical drop is 1,650. P.O. Box 1520, Banff, AB, T1L 1B4. 403/762-4421. email@example.com. www.banffnorquay.com.
Sunshine Village. About 8 km (5 mi) west of Banff, the terrain here offers options for all levels of skiers. The vertical drop is 3,514 feet, and there are 103 trails and 12 lifts. Off Hwy. 1, Banff, AB, T1L 1J5. 403/762-6500 or 877/542-2633. www.skibanff.com.
A good bargain is a $239.85, three-day pass that allows you to ski at Sunshine Village, Ski Banff at Norquay, and Lake Louise. It includes free shuttle service to the slopes. You can purchase the pass at the ski areas or at Banff Ski Hub store.
Ultimate Ski and Ride. You can rent ski, snowboard equipment, and bikes here and take advantage of the shop's free hotel delivery. 206 Banff Ave., off Lake Louise Dr., Lake Louise, AB, T1L1C3. 403/762-0547 or 866/754-7433. www.ultimatebanff.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $101.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Banff Hotwire
- Super Low Banff Rate: Book Fr $149+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $39/night less
- Incredible Savings: 4 Nts Hidden Ridge + Air Fr $1000 Expedia
- $111.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Banff — $111 Hotwire
- Unbeatable Price: 4 Nts Banff Ptarmigan Inn + Air Fr $968 — $968 Expedia