- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Icefields Parkway Review
Powerfully rugged mountain scenery, glaciers, waterfalls and icefalls, and wildlife: the Icefields Parkway reveals all of these and more as it snakes its way along 230 km (143 mi) connecting Banff National Park with Jasper National Park. It is an absolute highlight of the Canadian Rockies.
There aren't any gas stations along the route, so be sure to check the gas gauge before setting out. Although you could drive this winding road in three to four hours, it's more likely to be a full-day trip when you add in stops. The road rises to near the tree line at several points, and the weather can be chilly and unsettled at these high elevations, even in midsummer, so it's a good idea to bring warm clothing along.
Elk, moose, deer, and bighorn sheep are fairly common along this route, and occasionally you can see bears and mountain goats. In summer, alpine wildflowers carpet Bow Pass and Sunwapta Pass.
The most dramatic scenery is in the north end of Banff National Park and the south end of Jasper National Park, where ice fields and glaciers become common on the high mountains flanking the route (icefields are massive reservoirs of ice; glaciers are the slow-moving rivers of ice that flow from the icefields). Scenic overlooks and signposted hiking trails abound along the route.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Banff Fr $89+/Nt Travelocity
- Super Low Banff Rate: Book Fr $149+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $39/night less
- Unbeatable Price: 4 Nts Banff Rocky Mountain + Air Fr $968 Expedia
- Save at 3-Star High Country Inn: $151 & Up in May — $151 Save with Expedia, $8/night less
- Dream Deal: Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa 4 Nts + Air Fr $968 — $968 Expedia
The Canadian Rockies had been high on my list for years, and I could hardly believe my good luck when I was invited to present a workshop there in conjunction with the Canmore Folk Festival. Read more
This is about travel to Canmore and Banff, but the primary purpose of the trip was skiing, so apologies to those not interested in the ski specific comments below:
Several years ago, DD3 broke a bone Read more
My husband and I will be traveling to Banff in early September. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason. ... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more