When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
Banff National Park is an all-season destination. Visit in summer to hike the mountain trails or go in winter to enjoy some of the world's best skiing. Millions of people visit the park every year with the vast majority traveling during July and August, the warmest and driest months in the park. If you can visit in late spring (May to June) or early fall (September), you will be in shoulder season when prices are lower, crowds are fewer, and the temperatures are usually still comfortable. The downside to an off-season visit is the fact that you miss the summer interpretive programs and the wildflowers that reach their peak from early July to mid-August.
Both of the park's information centers are open all year, with extended hours during the summer months.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Banff this May Fr $161+/Nt Expedia
- Save $$ in Banff: Book Fr $174+/Nt Hotels.com
- Dream Deal: Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa 4 Nts + Air Fr $981 Expedia
- $162.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Banff — $162 Hotwire
- Travel for Less! 4 Nts Banff Rocky Mountain + Air Fr $880 — $880 Expedia