Waterton Lakes National Park Travel Guide
The mountains at Waterton Lakes National Park, near the southern end of the Canadian Rockies, seem a bit friendlier than those in the other national parks here?not quite so high, not quite so rugged. A World Heritage Site, Waterton is the meeting of two worlds: the flatlands of the prairie and the abrupt upthrust of the mountains. In this juncture of worlds, the park squeezes into a relatively small area (525 square km or 200 square mi) an unusual mix of wildlife, flora, and climate zones. The town site of Waterton Park is a decidedly low-key community in roughly the geographical center of the park. In summer it swells with tourists, and the restaurants and shops open to serve them. In winter only a few motels are open, and services are largely geared to meet the needs of the several hundred residents.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Things To Do in Waterton Lakes National Park
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Lethbridge Savings! Book at Econo Lodge & Suites Fr $105+/Nt Expedia
- $87.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Lethbridge Hotwire
- $39.52 & up : Compact rentals in Lethbridge Hotwire
- Small budget: Stay in Lethbridge this May Fr $147+/Nt — $147 Expedia
- $47.48 & up : Midsize rentals in Lethbridge — $48 Hotwire
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
The Canadian Rockies had been high on my list for years, and I could hardly believe my good luck when I was invited to present a workshop there in conjunction with the Canmore Folk Festival. Read more
This is about travel to Canmore and Banff, but the primary purpose of the trip was skiing, so apologies to those not interested in the ski specific comments below:
Several years ago, DD3 broke a bone Read more