- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Check Rates from our Partners
Clayoquot Wilderness Resort Review
Sleeping beneath canvas never was so elegant, which is why people from around the globe arrive via floatplane or boat to experience one of the top wilderness resorts. Typical days include ocean fishing, bear watching, horseback riding through the rain forest, or perhaps river rafting or sea kayaking, followed by a lavish dinner. Torch-lit boardwalks lead to platform tents, illuminated with candles and kerosene lanterns and elegantly furnished with antiques and plush bedding. Sip local wines in the outdoor living room before a huge river-stone fireplace, or sidle up to the counter in the open kitchen with a frothy cappuccino and a good book. Per person prices are all-inclusive except for spa treatments and range from C$4,750 for three nights to C$9,450 to seven nights.
Before glamping was all the rage, Clayoquot Wilderness Resort was already mixing luxury with backcountry. The resort was designed after late 19th-century Great Camps, where well-to-do vacationers built their own summer leisure sites using local materials that blended in with the surrounding landscape. Using that same philosophy, the resort features more than 20 white canvas guest tents, plus communal tents for dining, lounging, and reading. Instead of slumbering on the dirt as in the days of yore, you rest under duvet covers in your well-appointed tent, cozily burrowed away in the dense British Columbia forest.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd Nt Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
I am trying organize a boating trip for our family of five. Read more
Victoria with Teen Girls
In July, we did a Girl Scout trip with several high school girls, staying at a local Girl Scout property.
Day 1: After a beautiful crossing, we arrived in Victoria. Bought groceries Read more
We're planning to take a ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay on the afternoon of Friday 31 May, returning late afternoon on Sunday 2 June. Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more