When to Do It
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Do It
Vancouver has a moderate climate, with temperatures rarely exceeding 90°F or falling below freezing for sustained periods, though winter storms that blend relentless rain with 40°F days can feel colder than the Canadian Rockies. Whatever you're doing, wearing layers is key, as a downpour may abruptly turn into a 60-minute sun break, or marine air can bring a sudden chill to a July day.
Year-round: If Vancouverites postponed jogging, biking, or golfing because of a bit of rain, they'd only get outside half the time; visitors, too, are encouraged to venture out in all but the rare rainstorm to participate in adventure, whether crossing the Capilano Suspension Bridge, hiking in Stanley Park, or kayaking on False Creek. Though water temps in Georgia Strait hardly vary from summer to winter, visibility improves significantly from December to March in what Jacques Cousteau declared the second-best scuba location in the world. Sportfishing and most wilderness tours take place year-round; you should check with operators for peak migration periods of sea mammals and birds.
Summer: True summer weather starts late in Vancouver, around Canada Day (July 1), but warm temperatures and sunshine persist into October. The beach scene is popular when the weather's good.
Winter: Most cities boast plenty of parks, but how many can claim three ski areas within city limits? Welcome to the North Shore, where Cypress Mountain hosted the 2010 Olympic snowboard and freestyle ski events. The winter-sports season starts in November and runs through March—in addition to skiing and boarding, snowshoeing and dogsledding have become increasingly popular.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Vancouver this May Fr $316+/Nt Save with Expedia, $116/night less
- 3-Star Empire Landmark and Conference Center Fr $136+/Nt Hotels.com
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Princess Cruises Fr $789 Expedia
- $8.95 & up : Compact rentals in Vancouver Hotwire
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Opus Fr $329+/Nt — $329 Save with Expedia, $50/night less