By Bus and Rapid-Transit
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
By Bus and Rapid-Transit
TransLink, Metro Vancouver's public transport system, includes regular bus service, rapid transit (known as SkyTrain), and a 400-passenger commuter ferry (SeaBus) that connects downtown to the North Shore.
Fares are based on zones: one zone (C$2.50), two zones (C$3.75), or three zones (C$5). Day passes (C$9) and FareSaver tickets (sold in books of 10, at outlets such as 7/11, Safeway, and London Drugs) can also be purchased. Transfers (ask for one when you board) are valid for 90 minutes and allow travel in any direction. Tickets for bus travel requires exact change at time of embarkation, while SkyTrain and SeaBus tickets are purchased from machines (correct change isn't necessary). Tickets must be carried with you as proof of payment.
There are three SkyTrain lines: the Expo Line and the Millennium Line share the same stations between downtown and Commercial Drive, so unless you're going east of Commercial Drive, you can use either line. Trains leave about every two to five minutes. The Canada Line travels to Richmond's commercial hub (for great shopping) and to Vancouver International Airport, a ride that's less than 30 minutes. Canada Line trains leave about every 8 to 10 minutes.
SkyTrain is convenient for transit between downtown, B.C. Place Stadium, Pacific Central Station, Science World, and Vancouver International Airport. SeaBus is the fastest way to travel between downtown and the North Shore (there are bus connections to Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain).
SkyTrain. 604/953-3333. www.translink.ca.
TransLink. 604/953-3333. www.translink.ca.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $276.00 & up : 4.5-star hotels in Vancouver Hotwire
- 3-Star Rosedale on Robson Fr $188+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $9/night less
- $1,249 & Up: See Vancouver with Princess Cruises 7 Nts Expedia
- $10.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Vancouver Hotwire
- $111.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Vancouver — $111 Hotwire