- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Before July 1, 2010, most purchases in BC will incur a Goods-and-Services Tax (GST) of 5% and a British Columbia Provincial Sales Tax (PST) of 7%. On July 1, 2010, these two taxes will be replaced with a single Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) of 12%. Before July 1, 2010, hotel rooms will be subject to the 5% GST plus an 8 % Hotel Tax; after July 1, 2010, they will be subject to the 12% HST instead.
Some municipalities levy an additional 1% or 2%. Wine, beer, and spirits purchased in bars and restaurants are subject to a 10% tax. Some restaurants build this into the price of the beverage, but others add it to the bill.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $276.00 & up : 4.5-star hotels in Vancouver Hotwire
- 4.5-Star Sutton Place Vancouver Fr $209+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $70/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Princess Cruises Fr $1,249 Expedia
- $10.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Vancouver Hotwire
- $111.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Vancouver — $111 Hotwire