Mountain Biking in Whistler
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ski resorts everywhere have recently discovered the popularity of downhill biking. Whistler-Blackcomb was not only among the first to realize the potential of converting ski runs to fat-tire trails, they also established the best downhill-biking center in the world. Located on lower Whistler Mountain, the trails are marked green through double diamond and groomed with as much care as their winter counterparts.
Riding custom bikes designed specifically for the Whistler terrain, cyclists bomb down the single-track trails, staying high on the steeply banked turns and taking air on the many tables and jumps. Expert riders might add 30-foot rock drops, leaps over streambeds, and 100-foot platform bridges to their brake-free sprints through the forest. Beginners can find plenty of comfortable dirt lanes to follow, though, and you can keep your fingers ready at the hydraulic brake should the speed become uncomfortable. After their first taste of the sport, most novice riders can't wait to sit back on the specially designed chairlift, transition onto the blue terrain, invite a few bumps, and maybe grab some air before the day is through. Downhill biking provides pure, if muddy, adrenaline-fueled bliss.
Whistler Mountain Bike Park, with experienced instructors, is a great place to learn how to downhill bike.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire