- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Local operators offer sea kayaking, ocean diving, canoeing, wildlife viewing, mountain biking, white-water rafting, heli-hiking, and interpretive walks in summer. In winter, snowmobiling and caribou- and seal-watching expeditions are popular. In spring and early summer, a favored activity is iceberg-watching. Maxxim Vacations in St. John's organizes packaged adventure and cultural tours. Tuckamore Lodge, in Main Brook, uses its luxurious lodge on the Great Northern Peninsula as a base for viewing caribou, seabird colonies, whales, and icebergs and for winter snowmobile excursions. Wildland Tours in St. John's has three week-long guided tours that view wildlife and visit historically and culturally significant sites across Newfoundland.
In July and August, Canadian Sailing Expeditions offers a "Fjords, Bays & Tickles" cruise, which travels up the coast of western Newfoundland. The tour includes hands-on sail training while at sea, cruise ship-style cabins, local gourmet cuisine, guest lecturers and entertainers, and sea kayaks and bicycles for excursions. The company also offers a 10-day cruise that begins in Norris Point and travels to Red Bay and Battle Harbour.
Bus tours are available for Port aux Basques, the Codroy Valley, Corner Brook, the Bay of Islands, Gros Morne National Park, the Great Northern Peninsula, and St. John's. Check with Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. McCarthy's Party in St. John's has guided bus tours (including a quilting tour) across Newfoundland, learning vacations, and charter services. Wildland Tours also offers charters and learning vacations, including whale-study weeks and culinary tours of the island.
Maxxim Vacations (709/754-6666 or 800/567-6666. www.maxximvacations.com.)
McCarthy's Party (709/579-4444 or 888/660-6060. www.mccarthysparty.com.)
Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism (709/729-2830; 800/563-6353 in North America. www.newfoundlandlabrador.com.)
Tuckamore Lodge (709/865-6361 or 888/865-6361. www.tuckamorelodge.com.)
Wildland Tours (709/722-3123 or 888/615-8279. www.wildlands.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $135 -- Toronto 4-Diamond Stay w/Ticket to Any Toronto Event The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd Nt Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire