Cape Breton Island Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Nova Scotia & Atlantic Canada
There isn't much new in the northeastern corner of Nova Scotia and that's precisely the point; Cape Breton Island's reputation rests on simple pleasures and heartfelt hospitality. Spectacular scenery doesn't hurt either, and the very best of it is found on the Cabot Trail, a scenic 298-km (185-mi) stretch of road, winding along precipitous ocean-side cliffs, that is routinely counted among the world's most magnificent driving routes. This rugged terrain made the Highland Scots, who settled here in the 18th century, feel right at home and their influence remains obvious: North America's first single-malt whiskey distillery is on Cape Breton, as is its only college devoted to Gaelic language, arts, and culture.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Cape Breton Island restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Cape Breton Island
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
After months of grounding due to safety and reliability concerns, the buzzed-about Boeing 787 Dreamline... Read more
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Seems silly writing about Halifax since I literally live 2 hours away but also work in the city during the week. Read more
Many thanks to the various Fodorites who gave comprehensive and generous advice throughout our planning for this month long road trip.
We are two Aussies who have visited western Canada previously and Read more
Canadian SIM card options (in Nova Scotia)?
I am going to be traveling in Canada this summer, and need a Canadian SIM card. In the US, I have been using TMOBILE prepay, and it's quite expensive, imo. Read more