Swimming in Halifax
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dubious water quality means you shouldn't swim in Halifax Harbour or the Northwest Arm. But, just off the latter, Chocolate Lake is a popular alternative. 2 Melwood Ave., Halifax, NS. 902/490-5458.
For ocean swimming, the closest serviced option is busy Rainbow Haven Beach Provincial Park Both are free for day use and have lifeguards on duty in July and August. 2248 Cow Bay Rd., 8 km (5 mi) east of Cow Bay, Cole Harbour, Halifax, NS, B3G 1K8. No phone. www.novascotiaparks.ca.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $75.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Halifax Hotwire
- Book the The Lord Nelson & Suites 3 Nts in May Fr $267+/Nt Expedia
- $13.95 & up : Compact rentals in Halifax Hotwire
- $94.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Halifax — $94 Hotwire
- Save at 3-Star BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake: $116 & Up in May — $116 Save with Expedia, $31/night less