Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic
Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic Review
The Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic, on the Lunenburg waterfront, gives a comprehensive overview of Nova Scotia's fishing industry. With aquariums devoted to native species, tidal touch tanks, themed films, and exhibits on shipbuilding, whaling, and the like, there's plenty here to keep the whole gang happy. Demonstrations on topics such as sail making, boat building, and dory launching are also offered. Dockside, you can visit a restored Saltbank Schooner and a steel-hulled trawler or hear a few fish tales before dipping back into the museum gift shop.
As if that wasn't enough, the Bluenose II (902/634-4794 or 866/579-4909 www.schoonerbluenose2.ca), Nova Scotia's sailing ambassador, calls the museum home. She's a faithful replica of the original Bluenose, the Lunenburg-built schooner which gained prominence as the fastest vessel in the North Atlantic fleet during the 1920s and 1930s. The ship is expected to emerge from an extensive two-year refit in 2012 and once again be available for tours and sailing trips. But if she's not sitting pretty in port when you arrive, you can still get a glimpse of the famed ship by digging a Canadian dime out of your pocket. The Bluenose is pictured on the back.
- Address: 68 Bluenose Dr., Lunenburg, NS, B0J 2C0 | Map It
- Phone: 902/634-4794; 866/579-4909
- Cost: C$10 mid-May--mid-Oct., C$4 mid-Oct.--mid-May
- Hours: Mid-May--mid-Oct., daily 9:30--5:30, until 7 pm Tues.--Sat in July and Aug.; mid Oct.--mid-May, weekdays 9:30--4.
- Website: museum.gov.ns.ca/fma
- Location: Lunenburg
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Seems silly writing about Halifax since I literally live 2 hours away but also work in the city during the week. Read more
Many thanks to the various Fodorites who gave comprehensive and generous advice throughout our planning for this month long road trip.
We are two Aussies who have visited western Canada previously and Read more
Some of you might remember I was supposed to take my mom (who is almost 80) to see the Bay of Fundy last summer (something she's wanted to do for several years). Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more