- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Toronto's wealth of diverse neighborhoods and fascinating attractions cater to most tastes, but explore beyond downtown to find the ethnic enclaves, parks, museums, and attractions that make this city even more intriguing. Most of these must-sees are accessible by public transportation, although a car would make the journey to some of the more far-flung destinations more convenient.
To experience a community in diaspora, try Little India in the city's east end, where, for a few blocks, shiny sequined saris and tantalizing scents of spicy curries and dosas (thin pancakes stuffed with vegetables) make you forget all about the CN Tower. Greektown, along Danforth Avenue, is the place to go for souvlaki—usually served up with a healthy amount of buttery roasted potatoes, fluffy rice, and Greek salad. If you're hankering for a little Eastern European flavor, head west to Bloor West Village, a strip of delis, bakeries, and shops mere blocks from the green, leafy expanse of High Park.
Outdoor enthusiasts will want to check out High Park, almost 400 acres of green space in the city's west end, and for those with a vehicle, the Kortright Centre for Conservation is the perfect getaway. For a phenomenal display of flowers and other botanical beauties, spend a summer afternoon at Edwards Gardens in North York.
If the Art Gallery of Ontario didn't fully satisfy your thirst for Canadian art, then take a stab at the phenomenal collection of Group of Seven pieces at the McMichael Canadian Art Collection, in the quaint village of Kleinburg. Black Creek Pioneer Village, a living-history museum, and Canada's Wonderland, an enormous theme park, are extremely kid-friendly. The Ontario Science Centre is just minutes from downtown, and the sprawling Toronto Zoo, set in the beautiful Rouge River Valley, makes an unforgettable day trip.
Greater Toronto at a Glance
- Black Creek Pioneer Village
- Canada's Wonderland
- The Danforth
- High Park
- Kortright Centre for Conservation
- Little India
- All the Best Fine Foods
- The Art Shoppe
- Belle Époque
- Big Carrot Natural Food Market
- The Cook's Place
- Hollace Cluny
- I Miss You
- LE Gallery
- Lilliput Hats
- Bar Italia
- The Black Hoof
- Centro Restaurant and Lounge
- Duff's Famous Wings
- Globe Bistro
Elsewhere in Toronto
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York