- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arriving and Departing
Most buses arrive at the Toronto Coach Terminal, which serves a number of lines, including Greyhound (which has regular service to Toronto from all over the United States), Coach Canada, Ontario Northland, and Can-AR. The trip takes 6 hours from Detroit, 3 hours from Buffalo, and 11 hours from Chicago and New York City. During busy times, such as around holidays, border crossings can add an hour or more to your trip as every passenger must disembark and be questioned.
Information on fares and departure times is available online or by phone. Tickets are purchased at the Toronto Coach Terminal before boarding the buses.
Some Canadian bus lines do not accept reservations, but Coach Canada and Greyhound Canada allow online ticket purchases, which can then be printed out ahead of time or picked up at the station. On most lines, there are discounts for senior citizens (over 60), children (under 12), and students (with ISIC cards). Purchase your tickets as far ahead as possible, especially for holiday travel. Seating is first-come, first-served; arriving 45 minutes before your bus's scheduled departure time usually gets you near the front of the line.
A low-cost bus company, Megabus, runs from Buffalo, New York, to Toronto through Niagara Falls. The further in advance tickets are purchased, the less expensive they are.
Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) buses and streetcars link with every subway station to cover all points of the city.
Can-AR (905/738-2290. www.can-arcoach.com.)
Coach Canada (800/461-7661. www.coachcanada.com.)
Greyhound Lines of Canada Ltd. (416/594-1010 or 800/661-8747. www.greyhound.ca.)
Megabus (800/461-7661. www.megabus.com.)
Ontario Northland (705/472-4500 or 800/461-8558. www.ontc.on.ca.)
Toronto Coach Terminal (610 Bay St., just north of Dundas St. W, Dundas Square Area, ON, M5G 1M5. 416/393-7911. torontocoachterminal.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York