- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Toronto has a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) of 13% (the combination of the former 5% national GST and the 8% provincial PST) on most items purchased in shops and on restaurant meals. (Be aware that taxes and tip add at least 30% to your food and beverage total when dining out.) The HST also applies to lodging and alcohol purchased at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO). Prices displayed in LCBO stores include tax, so you won't see the extra taxes levied at the register. Other stores that sell wine charge only GST, but as they have to pay the LCBO a 10% tax, it's fair to assume they've marked up their prices accordingly.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York