- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
You can see Charlottetown's historic homes, churches, parks, and waterfront on foot. The city center is compact, so walking is the best way to explore the area.
Trius Transit buses run day and night; some head out to the surrounding communities of Cornwall and Stratford. Most have their hub downtown at the Confederation Centre of the Arts.
Walk & Sea Charlottetown has activity packages ranging from two to eight hours in length that include theater, oyster shucking, bicycling, seal-watching, and dining. Its "Take a Jaunt" brochures can be found at hotels, B&Bs, and visitor centers. Double-decker bus tours of the city (and elsewhere) are available through Abegweit Tours: you can find out more at any of the Visitor Information Centers, or stop by the outside of the Confederation Centre of the Arts. Harbour Hippo offers land-and-sea tours of Charlottetown, June through September, weather permitting, at Prince Street Wharf (near Founders' Hall). "The Hippo" is a brightly colored amphibious vessel that looks like a boat on wheels. The tour lasts almost an hour and goes into the water after a drive along historic sites in the downtown area. Fares vary depending on age group, and package deals are available.
Bicycle rentals are available at Smooth Cycle and Go Wheelin Bike Rentals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire