- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Top Things to Do in Montréal
Everything about Montréal's magnificent basilica is grand, from the 228-foot twin steeples to the 7,000-pipe organ in the loft. The thousands of stars spattered across the vaulted blue ceiling are 24-carat gold and were painstakingly applied by hand. To experience a bit of heavenly Catholic pomp and hear the choir sing and the organ roar, consider attending the 11 am mass on Sunday.
Parc du Mont-Royal
The modest mountain that gives Montréal its name is at the center of a 500-acre park with wooded trails, a trio of chalets, and splendid views from the city's highest point. City-weary people flirt here in spring, picnic in summer, enjoy the colors of autumn, and skate in winter.
This towering peak of the Laurentian Mountains, northwest of Montréal, has become one of North America's finest ski resorts, with 650 acres of skiable terrain, state-of-the-art snowmaking and lift equipment, first-class lodging, and an on-slope village of shops and restaurants.
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal
One of Canada's oldest museums has an exceptional collection of Canadian art, from portrayals of pioneer life by Paul Kane to dazzling abstractions by Paul-Émile Borduas, all housed in a former church. The permanent collection features works by such world masters as Rembrandt, Renoir, and Picasso.
Montréal's Old Port
In Montréal's Old Port, centuries-old warehouses now house art galleries, ice-cream parlors, and other attractions. It's one of the city's most popular parks: a place to cycle, stroll, or take a boat ride on the Lachine Rapids.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Discover Montreal with AirCanada! 23 Routes From $296 DealBase
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Montreal Fr $84+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Montreal Fr $192+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $70/night less
- Save at 3.5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Montreal Fr $652 Expedia
- $13.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Montreal Hotwire