- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Basilique Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec (Our Lady of Québec Basilica Cathedral)
Basilique Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec (Our Lady of Québec Basilica Cathedral) Review
François de Laval, the first bishop of New France, and his successors once ruled a diocese that stretched all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Laval's original cathedral burned down and has been rebuilt several times, but the current basilica still has a chancel lamp that was a gift from Louis XIV, the Sun King himself.
The church's somber, ornate interior includes a canopy dais over the episcopal throne, a ceiling of painted clouds decorated with gold leaf, and richly colored stained-glass windows. The large crypt was Québec City's first cemetery; more than 900 bodies are interred here, including 20 bishops and four governors of New France. Samuel de Champlain may be buried near the basilica: archaeologists have been searching for his tomb since 1950. There are information panels that allow you to read about the history of this church. Or, if you prefer, guided tours of the cathedral and crypt (appointment only) are available. The Centre d'animation François-de-Laval uses videos and pictures to illustrate the life of Québec's first bishop and founder of Canada's Catholic Church.
- Address: 16 rue de Buade, Upper Town, Québec City, QC, G1R 4A1 | Map It
- Phone: 418/692-2533 church
- Cost: Basilica free, guided tour C$3
- Hours: Oct.--May, daily 7:30--4; June--Sept. 7:30--8:30; guided tours May--Oct., upon reservation Nov.--Apr.
- Website: www.patrimoine-religieux.com
- Location: Upper Town
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $173 & Up: Cheap Quebec City Stay Save with Hotels.com, $10/night less
- Book in Quebec City: Save this May Fr $112+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Holland America Line Fr $699 Expedia
- $16.95 & up : Compact rentals in Quebec Hotwire
- Explore Quebec City For Less! Book Fr $179+/Nt — $179 Hotels.com
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
My fiancee and I are planning to go to Quebec City this October after our wedding. Read more
· News & Features
Before Beyoncé went into Blue Ivy baby-momma mode, Destiny’s Child taught the world an importa ... Read more
Heading to Montreal or Quebec City for some French culture without setting foot off the continent?... Read more