- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fortifications of Québec National Historic Site
Fortifications of Québec National Historic Site Review
In the early 19th century this was a clear space surrounded by a picket fence and poplar trees. The French began building ramparts along the city's cliffs as early as 1690 to protect themselves from British invaders. However, the colonists had trouble convincing the French government to take the threat of invasion seriously, and when the British invaded in 1759 the walls were still incomplete. The British, despite attacks by the Americans during the American Revolution and the War of 1812, took a century to finish them. From June 1 to early October, the park can also be the starting point for walking the city's 5 km (3 miles) of walls. There are two guided tours (C$9.80 each); one starts at the interpretation center and the other begins at Terrasse Dufferin.
Poudrière de l'Esplanade. What's here now is the Poudrière de l'Esplanade, the powder magazine (used to store gunpowder) that the British constructed in 1820, and an interpretation center with a multimedia video and a model depicting the evolution of the wall surrounding Vieux-Québec. 100 rue St-Louis, Upper Town, G1R 3Z7. 418/648-7016. www.pc.gc.ca. C$3.90. May-early Oct., daily 10-6.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $125.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Quebec Hotwire
- $99 & Up: Cheap Quebec City Stay Hotels.com
- Explore Canada/New England with Holland America Line Fr $699 Expedia
- $14.95 & up : Compact rentals in Quebec Hotwire
- $54.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Quebec — $54 Hotwire
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
i am so confused about quebec city. Read more
· News & Features
Before Beyoncé went into Blue Ivy baby-momma mode, Destiny’s Child taught the world an importa... Read more
Heading to Montreal or Quebec City for some French culture without setting foot off the continent?... Read more