- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Montmorency Falls Review
The Montmorency River was named for Charles de Montmorency, viceroy of New France in the 1620s and explorer Samuel de Champlain's immediate commander. The river cascading over a cliff into the St. Lawrence is one of the most beautiful sights in the province—and at 27 stories high, the falls are double the height of Niagara Falls. A cable car runs to the top of the falls in Parc de la Chute-Montmorency (Montmorency Falls Park) from late April to late October. During very cold weather the falls' heavy spray freezes and forms a giant loaf-shape ice cone known to Québecois as the Pain du Sucre (Sugarloaf); this phenomenon attracts sledders and sliders from Québec City.
The park also has a historic side. The British general James Wolfe, on his way to conquer New France, camped here in 1759. In 1780 Sir Frederick Haldimand, then the governor of Canada, built a summer home atop the cliff. The structure burned down, however, and what stands today is a re-creation, now a good restaurant called Manoir Montmorency. It's open year-round, with a terrace in summertime that offers a stunning view of the falls and river below.
Les Grands Feux Loto-Québec. Mid-July to early August, the skies above the falls light up with an international competition of fireworks performances set to music. 418/523-3389 or 888/523-3389. www.lesgrandsfeux.com.
- Address: 2490 av. Royale, Beauport, QC, G1C 1S1 | Map It
- Phone: 418/663-3330
- Cost: Cable car C$10.36 round-trip; parking C$9.75
- Hours: Site open year round. Cable car Apr. 6--June 23 and Aug. 27--Oct., daily 9--6; June 24--Aug. 26, daily 8:30--7:30, Dec. 26--Apr. 5, weekends 10--4
- Website: www.sepaq.com
- Location: Côte de Beaupré
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Quebec City: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Auberge Saint-Antoine Fr $327+/Nt Hotels.com
- Sail to Quebec City with Holland America Line, 7 Nts Fr $699 Expedia
- $19.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Quebec Hotwire
- Save in Quebec City: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $112+/Nt — $112 Save with Expedia, $14/night less
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
We're thinking of taking a trip to Montreal during the first week of September. Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more