- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alaska sees more than 1.5 million visitors each summer and, of that total, more than 40 percent spend at least one night in Anchorage. The tourist-friendly city offers a wealth of information and services to help visitors along the way. In addition to the Log Cabin and Visitor Information Center downtown, there are two visitor information centers in Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport: one in the north terminal (open mid-May through Sept.) and one in the south terminal in the C Concourse baggage claim area (open year-round).
Alaska Department of Fish and Game (333 Raspberry Rd., Midtown, Anchorage, AK, 99518. 907/267-2218. www.adfg.alaska.gov.)
Alaska Public Lands Information Center (605 W. 4th Ave., Downtown, Anchorage, AK, 99501. 907/644-3661 or 866/869-6887. www.alaskacenters.gov.)
Visit Anchorage. Housed in a rustic log cabin, the center's sod roof is festooned with huge hanging baskets of flowers, and a giant jade boulder stands outside. After a stop in the cabin, step out the back door to the more spacious visitor center stocked with brochures. Ask advice from the friendly and incredibly erudite volunteers: if they don't know something, it's not worth knowing. There are also two visitor information centers in Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, one in the north terminal and one in the south terminal in the C Concourse baggage claim area. 524 W. 4th Ave., Downtown, Anchorage, AK, 99501-2212. 907/276-4118; 800/478-1255 to order visitor guides. www.anchorage.net.
Anchorage Downtown Partnership (333 W. 4th Ave., Suite 317, Downtown, Anchorage, AK, 99501. 907/279-5650. www.anchoragedowntown.org.)
Log Cabin and Visitor Information Center (4th Ave. and F St., Downtown, Anchorage, AK, 99501. 907/257-2363. www.anchorage.net.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel