Winter Sports in Denali National Park and Preserve
Snowshoers and skiers generally arrive with their own gear and park or camp at the Riley Creek Campground at the park entrance. Dog mushing can also be done with your own team, or you can contact one of the park concessionaires that run day or multiday trips.
Denali West Lodge. Run by Tonya Schlentner, a 1,000-mi Yukon Quest finisher (the Quest is considered a much tougher race than the Iditarod), this fly-in lodge, fueled by alternative energy, offers multiday dog-mushing expeditions from the end of February to March. The lodge is located near the western boundary of Denali National Park, on the shores of Lake Minchumina. P.O. Box 40AC, Lake Minchumina, AK, 99757. 907/674-3112. www.denaliwest.com.
Denali Dog Sled Adventures. This operation offers one- to four-hour trips, including an "Into the Wild" trip with sites from Jon Krakauer's book; they also run up to 10-day excursions. Rooms at the EarthSong Lodge—cabins with nice views—start at $155. Mile 4, Stampede Rd., Healy, AK, 99743. 907/683-2863. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.earthsonglodge.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel