Inside Passage Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Native art and culture: Ancestral home of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian, Southeast is dedicated to preserving native heritage. Native crafts include totem poles and masks.
Rivers of ice: Visitors relish the opportunity to walk on Southeast's accessible glaciers or to admire them on flightseeing or kayak trips.
Tongass National Forest: America's largest national forest is home to bears, bald eagles, Sitka black-tailed deer, wolves, and marine mammals.
Fishing nirvana: Southeast is an angler's paradise. The region's healthy populations of salmon and halibut—as well as the wealth of charter boats and fishing lodges—make this a premier fishing destination.
Taking the ferry: The Alaska Marine Highway is the primary means of transportation here. It's a low-cost, high-adventure alternative to cruising, and an easy way to spend time talking to Alaskans.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel