- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The most adventurous way to explore Glacier Bay is by paddling your own kayak through the bay's icy waters and inlets. But unless you're an expert, you're better off signing on with the guided tours.
Alaska Discovery. You can book a five-day guided expedition through Alaska Discovery. Operated by Mountain Travel Sobek, Alaska Discovery provides safe, seaworthy kayaks and tents, gear, and food. Its guides are tough, knowledgeable Alaskans, and they've spent enough time in Glacier Bay's wild country to know what's safe and what's not. Gustavus, AK, 99826. 510/594-6000 or 800/586-1911. www.mtsobek.com/trips/br/region-north-america.
Spirit Walker Expeditions. Take one- to seven-day sea-kayaking trips from Gustavus to various parts of Icy Strait with Spirit Walker Expeditions. Trips to Glacier Bay and other remote areas of Southeast Alaska, including Ford's Terror and West Chichagof, are also offered on a limited basis. Gustavus, AK, 99826. 907/697-2266 or 800/529-2537. www.seakayakalaska.com.
Alaska Mountain Guides. Take day kayaking trips for whale-watching at Point Adolphus, a premier humpback gathering spot, as well as multiday sea-kayaking expeditions next to tidewater glaciers in Glacier Bay National Park, with Alaska Mountain Guides. Gustavus, AK, 99826. 907/766-3366 or 800/766-3396. email@example.com. www.alaskamountainguides.com.
Glacier Bay Sea Kayaks. Kayak rentals for Glacier Bay exploring and camping can be arranged through Glacier Bay Sea Kayaks. You will be given instructions on handling the craft plus camping and routing suggestions for unescorted trips. Guided day trips are available in Bartlett Cove. The company is an official NPS concession for guided day kayak trips. Bartlett Cove, Gustavus, AK, 99826. 907/697-2257. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.glacierbayseakayaks.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel