- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sightseeing and Glaciers
AJ Gold Mine. Former miners lead three-hour tours of the historic AJ Gold Mine south of Juneau. The tour includes a gold-panning demonstration and time in the old tunnels that lace the mountains. Mine tours depart from downtown by bus. Sheep Creek Mine Rd., Juneau, AK, 99801. 907/463-5017. www.traveljuneau.com/listings.
Juneau Convention and Visitors Bureau. The Juneau Convention and Visitors Bureau has a list of companies that provide tours to Mendenhall Glacier, and others that provide boat trips to Tracy Arm's Sawyer Glacier, about 50 miles southeast of town. 800 Glacier Ave., Suite 201, Juneau, AK. 907/586-2201 or 888/581-2201. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.traveljuneau.com.
Alaska Coach Tours. Alaska Coach Tours operates the Historic Juneau Trolley, providing a 45-minute tour of Alaska's capital city. Juneau, AK, 99801. 907/586-7433. www.alaskacoachtours.com.
Mighty Great Trips. The company leads guided bus tours that include a visit to Mendenhall Glacier as well as helicopter tours, river rafting, and whale-watching. Juneau, AK, 99801. 907/789-5460. MGTtour@aol.com. www.mightygreattrips.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel