- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Ketchikan is a regular stop on cruise-ship and ferry routes, but Alaska Airlines also flies in from Seattle and other Pacific Northwest locations. If you're traveling out of the town on the highway in either direction, you won't go far before you run out of road. The North Tongass Highway ends about 18 mi from downtown, at Settler's Cove Campground. The South Tongass Highway terminates at a power plant about 13 mi from town. Side roads soon end at campgrounds and at trailheads, viewing points, lakes, boat-launching ramps, and private property.
Ketchikan has three bus routes that serve the city and outlying areas. In addition, during the cruise-ship season (May to September) there is a local shuttle bus operating a circular route from Berth 4 and including stops at Eagle Park, Southeast Discovery Center, Creek Street, Totem Heritage Center, Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery, and Ketchikan Historic Museum. The shuttle service is free.
Arriving at the airport, visitors can take the local Gateway Borough Ferry ($5). This is a vehicle and walk-on ferry that crosses the Tongass Passage, taking about 10 minutes. Ketchikan also has a water taxi that runs from the airport and will drop off visitors at the various marinas or piers along the waterfront (cost varies).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel