- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For an enjoyable loop hike from town, follow Dolphin Street uphill from the center of town. At the intersection with 5th Street, a boardwalk path leads 900 feet through forested wetlands to the baseball fields, where a second boardwalk takes you to 12th Street and Haugen Drive. Turn left on Haugen and follow it past the airport to Sandy Beach Park, where picnickers can sit under log shelters and low tide reveals remnants of ancient fish traps and a number of petroglyphs. From here you can return to town via Sandy Beach Road or hike the beach when the tide is out. Along the way is the charming Outlook Park, a covered observatory with binoculars to scan for marine life. A pullout at Hungry Point provides views to the Coast Range and Frederick Sound. Across the road the half-mile Hungry Point Trail takes you back to the baseball fields—a great spot for panoramic views of the mountains—where you can return downtown on the nature boardwalk. Plan on an hour and a half for this walk.
Raven's Roost Cabin. For something more strenuous, a 4-mile trail begins at the airport and climbs 1,600 feet in elevation to Raven's Roost Cabin. Along the way you take in a panorama that reaches from the ice-bound Coast Range to the protected waters and forested islands of the Inside Passage far below. The two-story Forest Service cabin is available for rent ($35 per night); contact the National Recreation Service. Get details on these and other hikes from the Petersburg Visitor Information Center or from the Petersburg Ranger District. Petersburg, AK.
National Recreation Reservation Service (518/885-3639 or 877/444-6777. www.recreation.gov.).
Petersburg Ranger District (12 N. Nordic Dr., 99833. 907/772-3871. www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/petersburg.).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel