- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiking and Bird-Watching
Starrigavan Recreation Area. Seven miles north of Sitka, Starrigavan Recreation Area is a peaceful, end-of-the-road place to explore the rain forest. The state ferry terminal is less than a mile from Starrigavan, and a popular Forest Service campground is also here. Several easy trails lead hikers through the area, including the ¼-mile boardwalk Estuary Life Trail. It circles a small estuary and includes a bird-viewing shelter and access to a nearby artesian well. The ¾-mile Forest and Muskeg Trail winds through a spruce-hemlock forest and traverses a muskeg, with interpretive signs along the way. Across the road is the delightful 1¼-mile loop Mosquito Cove Trail, which skirts the rocky shoreline to Mosquito Cove before returning through thickly forested hills. Halibut Point Rd., Sitka, AK, 99835. 907/747-4216.
Sitka Trail Works. Get a map of local trails from Sitka Trail Works. 801 Halibut Point Rd., Sitka, AK, 99835. 907/747-7244. email@example.com. www.sitkatrailworks.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel