- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
St. Elias Alpine Guides. Based in the town of McCarthy and operating for over three decades, this guide outfit gives introductory mountaineering lessons, leads excursions ranging from half-day glacier walks to monthlong backpacking trips, and is the only company contracted by the Park Service to conduct guided tours of historic Kennicott buildings. If you'd rather raft than hike, its Copper Oar rafting outfit (www.copperoar.com) has river trips into the heart of the wilderness. AK. 907/345-9048 or 888/933-5427. www.steliasguides.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe